Zirconia Cloths Type ZYW are flexible textiles composed of yttria stabilized zirconia fibres that offer extreme temperature and chemical resistance in a flexible form. Type ZYW cloths provide the lowest thermal conductivity of any commercially available refractory material in their class. Type ZYW cloths are true textiles, manufactured using the Zircar process where an organic cloth is converted into an inorganic replica. The fabrics are constructed of continuous individual filaments mechanically interlocked in a woven structure.
ZYW ceramic textiles are ideal for temperatures up to 2200°C and are suitable for applications such as high energy battery separators, thermal insulation in crystal growing furnaces, and hot gas filtration.
- Low thermal conductivity
- High porosity
- Extreme high temperature stability
- They have exceptional resistance to molten alkali metal chlorides and carbonates at temperatures as high as 1300°F (700°C)
- They have exceptional resistance to aqueous solutions of alkali metal hydroxides at temperatures as high as 450°F (230°C)
- They will tolerate exposure to a mineral acid at its boiling point for short lengths of time
- Fibres Stabilized with ~10 wt% Yttria
- Easily Cut to Size
- ZYW is an effective high temperature insulation for use in applications where space is at a premium. Its relative high strength allows repeated flexing at temperatures below 2500°F (1371°C).
- ZYW has found use as a high temperature heat shielding material. Its use can significantly reduce the number of conventional refractory metal shields needed in many applications and is not restricted to vacuum and inert or reducing environments.
- ZYW can be coated with Zirconia Rigidizer Type ZR-RIG to create thin walled, rigid fibrous zirconia tubes, and other shapes. ZYW can also be wrapped around dense zirconia oxygen sensor tubes, held in place with ZR-RIG, for use as standoffs.
- ZYW is an effective separator for high temperature fuel cells and high energy batteries.
- ZYW is an effective reinforcement for ablative materials used in nozzles, nose tips and heat shields.
- Other applications for Zircar Zirconia Cloth Type ZYW include filter media for hot gases, catalyst supports, and flexible setter cloths at elevated temperatures.